Troubles in Guyana

Guyanese FA
Courtesy: Press Reader/Stabroek News

GFF launches investigation into Futsal shooting incident

19 Apr 2018

Although tight-lipped on the details, Guyana Football Federation (GFF) President Wayne Forde, has revealed that an investigation has been launched into the unforeseen conclusion of the Petra Organization/Corona Futsal finale on April 14th due to gunfire inside the National Gymnasium.

Asked about his thoughts on the incident and if any sanctions will be meted out to the promoters due to the perceived lack of security, Forde said that he was unable to comment at this time due to the ongoing investigation.

He added that once the investigation was completed and the parties are appropriately notified, he will share his thoughts on the episode.

The GFF President did not reveal a timeline for the conclusion of the investigation nor the individuals that will be tasked with supervising the investigation.

The final of the annual competition ended in an unceremonious and embarrassing fashion after several gunshots were discharged by unknown individuals.

The shooting, which originated from the western side of the facility, triggered a stampede that resulted in several fans being injured as individuals scrambled for safety.

At the time of the stoppage, defending champion Sparta Boss led Bent Street 2-0 at the halftime interval.

Forde’s revelation of an investigation being launched into the episode comes on the heels of the National Sports Commission through its Director of Sports, Christopher Jones, declaration that all Futsal Tournaments have been suspended until further notice.

Jones during an earlier interview with Stabroek Sport, disclosed that stipulations will be enforced mandating more police presence at the venue.

He declared, “You will have to provide a contract stating how much police officers will be there. This document must come from the police force and only then will the NSC grant approval. Once we get these systems in place, essentially the problems can be resolved in two or three weeks.”

Petra Organization CoDirector and tournament coordinator Troy Mendonca, in an earlier press release, revealed that the ruckus was due to a disturbance between a male and his female partner.

Though the above-mentioned conflict was substantiated by witnesses, it was also revealed by observers who spoke on the condition of anonymity that the incident also escalated because of an alleged wager that went sour between supporters of the respective teams.

Posted by Luca Ranocchiari --> luca.ranocchiari@futsalplanet.com


Send this news to a friend:
Your Name:   Friend's Mail:  Send!Send the Mail!

For more details visit also:


Visualize all Polls